Regular facials are the key to delaying & diminishing signs of ageing. At only 30 years young, we start to lose collagen and the signs of ageing can begin to appear. The answer is microneedling. Studies have shown an impressive boost of collagen by up to 400% over a 6 month period with a course of just 3 treatments. We have answered some of the most common questions that we are asked, as let's face it, needles can be scary!
- Myth 1 - It will hurt! You are using needles...
This isn't the case as the treatment is minimally invasive. Anaesthetic is applied to the skin 40-50 minutes before we begin, making you suitably numb before a single needle touches the skin. When we have asked clients where they would put the pain on a 1-10 scale, the average response was a 3 at worst.
"First Skin Pen treatment, comprehensive explanation of treatment and aftercare. Very reassuring and now I am looking forward to my next treatment. Thank you very much." - Liz M
- Myth 2 - I won't be able to go out for days until my skin heals...
There is very little downtime with this treatment, normally you will have redness that looks like moderate sunburn for around 18-24 hours, this diminishes quickly over a 24 hour period and after 48 hours, skin has generally returned back to normal. See photos below.
- Myth 3 - It's needles being stabbed into the skin, won't that cause damage...
Skinpen works for this exact reason by stimulating your skin's natural ability to repair itself. This process results in tissue remodelling and new collagen formation achieving healthier skin with a much more youthful, smoother appearance. This is the next advancement in skin regeneration.
The needle also goes in at a 90 degree angle so there is no drag on the skin, this is why Skinpen is far superior to other methods of needling.
- Phase I: Inflammation. Piercing the skin triggers your immune system to disinfect the wounds, remove debris, increase blood flow and begin to create new tissue.
- Phase II: Proliferation. The wound is re-built with new granulation cells, as well as a temporary (type III) collagen and elastin, which are part of the extracellular matrix. Additionally, a new network of blood vessels develops.
- Phase III: Remodeling. The wound has been replaced with new dermal tissues and blood vessels. The type III collagen in the newly formed tissue is replaced with stronger type I collagen, which can contract to create a tightening or “shrink wrap” effect on the skin.
- Myth 4 - Is it the same as derma-stamping or rollering?
Similar but Skinpen is more advanced, as this is a medical grade treatment that creates thousands and thousands more micro-injuries in the skin than a manual roller or stamp can. Vertical delivery of the needles allows physicians/skin care providers to use the device to treat hard-to-reach places that other dermal rollers cannot.
Did you know manual rollers are by no means as hygienic as Skinpen? This is why Skinpen is used by the NHS and other medical professionals and institutes.
- Myth 5 - I'm worried about the risk of post-procedure infections...
Post-procedure infections are extremely unlikely due to the Skinpen being the only medical grade micro needling device available. The treatment is done under sterile, clinical conditions and we take precautionary measures to provide protection from potential cross-contamination. The Skinpen has 14 stainless steel medical grade needles, ingress protection to prevent any blood, fluid or serum present during the procedure from penetrating into the pen and a Bio-Sheath designed to ensure the fluids generated during the procedure do not pass from contaminated glove to pen. The micro-injuries caused during treatment usually close within 18-24 hours and there is home care to follow to ensure you're looking after your skin at home.
We offer a complimentary consultation to discuss all your concerns and put your mind at ease, this is a truly fantastic treatment, so don't let the needles put you off!
"Rachel made me feel comfortable and explained the SkinPen treatment in great detail. A couple of days with a slightly red face and everything settled. I am now less apprehensive about the next two treatments and looking forward to the end result." - Jane B